August 19, 2013

In the movie Evan Almighty, the female actress says to God (Morgan Freeman) something along the lines of she has asked for patience and hasn't gotten any. And he replies, "Let me ask you something. If someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If he prayed for courage, does God give him courage, or does he give him opportunities to be courageous? If someone prayed for the family to be closer, do you think God zaps them with warm fuzzy feelings, or does he give them opportunities to love each other?" She had wanted her family to get closer, but it doesn't just magically happen. Heavenly Father doesn't just give us what we want, but he gives us the chance to earn it. I keep this in mind when I am praying. I have opportunities to practice things such as patience, but if I don't actually practice patience when Heavenly Father gives me the opportunity, I don't think that He will give me as many opportunities.